The Nepal Telecommunication Authority has started a new project, where they have started online registration of mobile phones. This is an attempt to reduce the selling of grey phones to a complete zero.
For the unversed, grey market phones are phones that are sold without a warranty and a bill. And Nepal has a high number of these kinds of mobile phones and the government is aiming to end it.
How to register your IMEI number?
There are various ways to register your mobile phone’s IMEI number. The following information has been published for the general public regarding the registration of IMEI / ESN / MEID of mobile handsets imported from abroad for personal use.
The methods are:
1. When importing a mobile handset from abroad for personal use, the IMEI / ESN / MEID of the mobile handset can be registered by submitting a copy of the application and citizenship or any other identity card in the format as per Annex-2 of the NEIR Interim Directive implemented by the Authority.
2. The Interim Directory and the application form are available on the Authority’s website at http://www.nta.gov.np.
3. For the convenience of the general public, the applicant can fill the application form to register the IMEI / ESN / MEID of the mobile handset and send it to the email address of the authority [email protected]
4. Online form is also available on eir.nta.gov.np for the IMEI / ESN / MEID registration. The registration process is easily accessible from the internet and easy to use. The method to fill the online form is:
- Visit the official NTA page, here
- Enter all the required information asked, such as Name, Number, email, and more.
- Enter the IMEI number, this can be found on the cover box of your mobile phone
- Upload the identification photo, this must be less than 3 MB.
Why are they doing this?
There are various advantages of their IMEI registration.
- To prevent the grey market of mobile phones. This is a piece of good news for the consumers as well as official sellers. With the reduction in grey phones, more official mobile phones will be sold and customers will not be scammed with a mobile phone that can be stolen.
- People can block mobile phones that are lost or stolen.
- Mobile payments will be secure with the identification database of all users.
- It helps to catch criminals because the IMEI number can be used to track the location.
Mobile phones from abroad are very common, many people import or make their friends buy mobile phones while returning from foreign countries. IMEI registration for these kinds of mobile users is very crucial since the NTA plans to disable them. IMEI registration is very easy to do so with the online method and people should register it as soon as possible. This can also lead to the grey phone market coming to an end which means a safe deal when buying a mobile home for the customers.